Mary Jane Bass
Mary Jane Bass is a partner at Beggs & Lane with a litigation practice focused on environmental, land use, local government, and litigation matters. Ms. Bass has practiced law for 30 years and is AV Preeminent rated under the Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system.
Ms. Bass serves as the City Attorney for the City of Gulf Breeze and formerly served as counsel to the Santa Rosa Island Authority. Ms. Bass has also represented property owners and homeowners in local government quasi-judicial proceedings. In her environmental practice, Ms. Bass represents clients in regulatory and transactional matters related to contaminated property, hazardous waste management and cleanup, wetlands, and land use. She has represented clients in enforcement actions and consent order negotiations with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. She was a member of a class action legal team representing the plaintiffs in Samples v. Conoco, et al. and Williams v. Conoco, et al., involving property damage and medical monitoring claims.
Her experience includes complex mass tort litigation as part of a plaintiffs’ trial team that successfully tried to verdict prescription drug cases resulting in multi-million dollar jury verdicts. Ms. Bass also heads briefing teams at the trial court and appellate levels for this litigation.
Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. (Cum Laude) – 1988
George Washington University
- M.A. – 1982
- Major: Science, Technology/Public Policy
Agnes Scott College, Decatur, Georgia
- B.A. With Honors; Phi Beta Kappa – 1978
- Major: Political Science
- Florida, 1995
- Georgia, 1988
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Environmental Law Section, Member
- The Florida Bar Environmental and Land Use Section, Member