Charlie Wiggins, a partner in Beggs & Lane’s litigation practice group, was recently re-certified as a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer by the Florida Board of Legal Specialization and Education. Charlie has been Board Certified in Civil Trial Law since 2008.
Board certification is an approved program by The Florida Supreme Court and administered by The Florida Bar. Board certified attorneys are the only lawyers allowed to use the terms “specialist” or “B.C.S.” (Board Certified Specialist) when referring to their legal credentials. Board certified lawyers have met The Florida Bar’s highest standards for special knowledge, skills and proficiency in various areas of law and professionalism and ethics in the practice of law. Less than 1% of all lawyers admitted to The Florida Bar are Board Certified in Civil Trial Law.
Civil trial lawyers deal with litigation of civil controversies in all areas of substantive law before state and federal courts. In addition to the pretrial and trial process, civil trial law includes evaluating, handling, and resolving civil disagreements prior to the initiation of a lawsuit.
When you hire a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, you are represented by a lawyer who has:
- Practiced law for at least five years;
- Actively participated in the specialty of civil trial—50 percent or more—during the three years immediately preceding application;
- Conducted at least 15 contested civil cases in courts of general jurisdiction, including cases before juries as lead counsel and as trier of fact on some or all of the issues;
- Been evaluated for competency, ethics, and professionalism by judges and peers;
- Completed 50 hours of continuing legal education within the three years immediately preceding application; and
- Passed a written examination demonstrating knowledge, skills, and proficiency in the field of civil trial law to justify the representation of special competence in this area of the law to the legal profession and to the public.
Charlie may be contacted at (850) 469-3326 or firstname.lastname@example.org.