Thomas F. Gonzalez
Thomas F. Gonzalez is an AV-rated partner in the firm’s litigation group. He represents companies and individuals in tort claims and business disputes. He has tried numerous civil jury cases, conducted administrative hearings and handled licensure investigations representing physicians, nurses and other healthcare practitioners before their respective professional boards. He has tried personal injury and wrongful death cases arising from premises liability, aircraft and automobile accidents, medical malpractice and negligent security claims. He has also litigated and tried complex commercial disputes involving copyright infringement, aviation insurance claims, air ambulance contract disputes, electric utility contracts and homeowners’ insurance.
Mr. Gonzalez is licensed to practice in Florida, Alabama, Texas (inactive status) and the District of Columbia (inactive status). He has briefed and argued appeals in various appellate courts, including Florida’s First and Fourth District Courts of Appeal and the United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Gonzalez’ first career as a Naval Aviator included deployments as a helicopter pilot in support of the NATO mission in Bosnia, counter-narcotic interdiction missions, and service in the Pentagon as the administrative aide to the Navy General Counsel. He earned an FAA Commercial Pilot Rating, and Instrument Rating, Rotary (Helicopter) and Fixed Wing. Mr. Gonzalez resigned as a Lieutenant in 1996.
Mr. Gonzalez has been certified by the Florida Supreme Court to mediate Circuit Civil cases. He is available to mediate pre-suit and ongoing litigation matters.
Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. (Magna Cum Laude) – 1999
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- B.A. – 1988
- Major: English
- Florida, 1999
- Alabama, 2000
- Texas, 2014
- District of Columbia, 2000 (Inactive Status)
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 2001
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 2000
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 2000
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2000
- Florence Bason v. Waffle House, Inc., Case No.: 67-04-CA-105 (Washington County, Florida): Lead counsel. Defense verdict for Waffle House on September 26, 2005, after a jury trial in a personal injury premises liability Claim. The plaintiff alleged permanent disabling injury after she was hit by a heavy steel door.
- Mary Ann Jenkins v. Baptist Hospital, Inc., Case No.: 2004 CA 000726 (Escambia County, Florida): Lead counsel. Defense verdict on February 27, 2006, for Baptist Hospital after a jury trial in a medical malpractice claim. The plaintiff alleged the nurses failed to recognize a transected femoral artery.
- Sheila Hill v. Baptist Hospital, Inc., Case No.: 2001 CA 002098 (Escambia County, Florida): Lead Counsel. Defense verdict on May 1, 2006, after a jury trial in a medical malpractice claim. Plaintiff alleged disabling injuries from the improper administration of a drug in the emergency department.
- Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s London, et al., v. Associated Aviation Underwriters, Inc., et al., Case No.: 2002 CA 000510 (Escambia County, Florida): Co-counsel. Defense verdict for AAU after a jury trial on August 1, 2008. Plaintiff alleged a multi-million dollar loss in this negligent claims handling case.
- Taminco, N.V. v. Gulf Power Co., Case No.: 3:08 cv 00135 RS/EMT (United States District Court, Northern District of Florida, Pensacola Division): Co-counsel. Successfully defended Gulf Power Company from a declaratory judgment action seeking to overturn an existing multi-year, multi-million dollar contract. The October 21, 2008, summary judgment for Gulf Power was affirmed by the Eleventh Circuit in 332 Fed. Appx. 732, 2009 WL 883994.
- Troy Gray v. Baptist Hospital, Inc., Case No.: 2006 CA 001792 (Escambia County, Florida): Lead Counsel. Defense verdict on May 17, 2010, after a jury trial in a medical malpractice claim. Plaintiff, a visitor to the behavioral medicine facility, alleged permanent disabling injuries incurred during the recovery of an escaping mental patient.
- Competitor Liaison Bureau, Inc. and NASCAR, Inc. v. Cessna Aircraft Company, Case No.: 6:08-cv-2165-Orl-28GJK (United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, Orlando Division): Co-counsel. Obtained a defense summary judgment for Cessna on statute of repose issue in this multiple death and personal injury aircraft crash case on April 8, 2011, affirmed by the Eleventh Circuit in 2011 WL 1344455.
- David and Cindy Conner as Personal Representative of the Estate of Dustin Conner v. Waffle House, Inc. and James Wise, Case No.: 2009 CA 001854 (Escambia County, Florida): Lead counsel. Obtained a jury trial defense verdict on October 28, 2011, in this wrongful death negligent security claim brought by the parents of a patron shot and killed in the restaurant parking lot.
- Gulf Power Co. v. Coalsales, II LLC f/k/a Peabody Coalsales Company, Case No.: 3:06 cv 00270 MCR/EMT (United States District Court, Northern District of Florida, Pensacola Division): Co-counsel. Obtained a summary judgment on liability and a $27,423,972.85 damages judgment after a bench trial for Gulf Power Company. Decision affirmed in 522 Fed. Appx. 699 (2013).
- Callie Savage v. Baptist Health Ventures, Inc., Case No.: 2008 CA 003664 (Escambia County, Florida): Lead counsel. Obtained a defense verdict on July 13, 2012, after a jury trial in a medical malpractice claim alleging failure to diagnose and properly treat a broken leg.
- Sylvia Sussman as the Administratrix of the Estate of Egon Sussman, et al. v. Cessna Aircraft Co., Case No.: 2007-20336 (Volusia County, Florida): Co-counsel. Obtained a defense verdict for Cessna Aircraft Company on April 10, 2014, after a three-week jury trial in this four death aircraft crash case.
- Robert Rouse v. Gulf County Association for Retarded Citizens and Robert Winfield Wilson, Case No.: 2012 CA 00093 (Gulf County, Florida): Lead counsel. Obtained a defense verdict on September 30, 2014, in this motor vehicle accident claim brought by a passenger injured in a highway collision.
- Ida K. Brady, as Personal Representative of the Estate of Samuel S. Brady, deceased v. Coastal Vascular and Interventional Centers, PLLC and Harry Ralph Cramer, Jr., M.D., Case No. 2014 CA 002233, (Escambia County, Fla.): Lead Counsel. Obtained a defense verdict on October 28, 2016, following a two-week medical malpractice/wrongful death trial where it was alleged that the improper use of contrast dye caused kidney failure and death. Verdict upheld on appeal by the First DCA, June 5, 2018, No. 1D17-421 (PCA).
- Baptist Health Care
- Global Aerospace
- Gulf Power Company
- Philadelphia Insurance Company
- Med Mal Direct
- Waffle House
- Select Specialty Hospitals
- Select Physical Therapy
- Textron Aviation, Inc.
- Andrews Institute, ASC.
- Commissioner, First Judicial Circuit, Judicial Nominating Commission, 2012-2015
- Pensacola Council, United States Navy League, JAG, 2002 – Present
- Board Member, Friends of the Saenger Theater, Pensacola, 2012-2015
- Board of Directors, Pensacola Country Club, 2017 – Present
- Escambia Santa Rosa Bar Association, Member, 1999 – Present
- Defense Research Institute, 2001 – Present
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association, 2008 – Present
Danielle Novitzky: email@example.com
Rebecca Fagan: firstname.lastname@example.org