Matthew P. Massey
Matthew is a former federal prosecutor and experienced trial lawyer. He handles complex cases from investigation through verdict in a variety of arenas including federal criminal defense, business disputes, medical malpractice litigation, regulatory proceedings, and construction litigation.
Before joining Beggs & Lane, Matthew served over four years as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the District of Columbia. As a prosecutor, he led hundreds of grand jury investigations and tried more than 20 cases to verdict on a wide range of offenses. These included prosecutions for drug and gun interdictions, major violent offenses, crimes against minors, and fraud. He received two Special Achievement Awards in recognition of his trial and investigative work at the Department of Justice.
Prior to working as a federal prosecutor, Matthew was a judicial law clerk to the Hon. Theresa C. Buchanan in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. During law school he worked with the Division of Enforcement at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Matthew is a graduate of the University of Virginia and Emory University School of Law, where he was Managing Editor of the Emory Law Journal.
Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, GA
- Managing Editor, Emory Law Journal
- J.D. (2012)
- Dean’s Awards: Advanced Civil Trial Practice; International Commercial Arbitration
- Judicial Externship: U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- Division of Enforcement Extern: U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- B.A. Economics (2009)
- B.A. Psychology (2009)
- Florida (2018)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (2018)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida (2018)
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida (2018)
- District of Columbia (2014)
- Virginia (2013)
- Maryland (2012)
- Navy League of the United States – Pensacola Council, JAG
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association
- American Inns of Court, Pensacola Chapter
- Rotary Club of Pensacola, 2020 Paul Harris Fellow
- Represented physician on 61 counts of federal healthcare fraud and violations of the Controlled Substances Act in the Northern District of Florida. Government dismissed all fraud counts prior to trial in response to pre-trial motions. Jury acquitted physician on all remaining counts.
- Negotiated pre-arraignment dismissal of federal charge for theft of government property.
- Represented client in forfeiture proceedings and money laundering charges brought by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Florida.
- Negotiated favorable AWC with FINRA’s Division of Enforcement for client accused of securities violations for allegations of trading away.
- Litigated multi-party derivative action under Florida Revised Limited Liability Company Act. Successfully resolved matter such that clients retained control of all company assets, ownership, and real property.
- Represented industrial pressure vessel manufacturer in multi-party products liability litigation in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida.
- Successfully represented client before Florida’s First District Court of Appeals in appellate matter involving punitive damages in personal injury action.
- Member of trial team in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia that secured $1.4 billion in damages on behalf of family members of American hostage.
- Member of trial team that won judgment following a jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida on behalf of U.S. Army veteran who brought claims under the Fair Housing Act. Jury awarded both compensatory and punitive damages.
- Represented business owner accused of money laundering and wire fraud by Department of Justice.
- Representing industrial manufacturer of pipe coatings in multi-party litigation in federal district court.
- Successfully served as bid protest counsel to emergency fuel services company during bid protest of FDOT government contract.
Direct: (850) 469-3302
Hannah Roland: email@example.com