Matthew P. Massey
Matthew regularly represents clients in high stakes litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country. He focuses his practice on complex civil and white collar litigation, professional malpractice litigation, regulatory proceedings, and products liability and construction litigation.
Before joining Beggs & Lane, Matthew served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Columbia. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Matthew led hundreds of investigations and tried more than 20 cases to verdict. His caseload included prosecutions involving felony major crimes, drug and gun interdictions, crimes against minors, fraud, and cyber-related crimes. He received two Special Achievement Awards in recognition of his work at the Department of Justice. Prior to working as a federal prosecutor, Matthew served as a judicial law clerk in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Matthew is a graduate of the University of Virginia and Emory University School of Law, where he was Managing Editor of the Emory Law Journal. He is active in the Pensacola community and was recognized as a 2020 Pensacola Inweekly Rising Star.
Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, GA
- J.D. (2012)
- Dean’s Awards: Advanced Civil Trial Practice; International Commercial Arbitration
- Judicial Externship: U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- Managing Editor, Emory Law Journal
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- B.A. Economics (2009)
- B.A. Psychology (2009)
- Florida (2018)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (2018)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida (2018)
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida (2018)
- District of Columbia (2014)
- Virginia (2013)
- Maryland (2012)
- Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association
- American Inns of Court, Pensacola Chapter
- Rotary Club of Pensacola, 2020 Paul Harris Fellow
- Represented industrial pressure vessel manufacturer in multi-party products liability litigation in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida.
- Successfully represented client before Florida’s First District Court of Appeals in appellate matter involving punitive damages in personal injury action.
- Member of trial team in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia that secured $1.4 billion in damages on behalf of family members of American hostage.
- Member of trial team that won judgment following a jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida on behalf of U.S. Army veteran who brought claims under the Fair Housing Act. Jury awarded both compensatory and punitive damages.
- Represented business owner accused of money laundering and wire fraud by Department of Justice.
- Representing industrial manufacturer of pipe coatings in multi-party litigation in federal district court.
- Successfully served as bid protest counsel to emergency fuel services company during bid protest of FDOT government contract.